Posted by Angela, Happy Fit Mama
My kids have more than enough toys. Like seriously way too much. But I still want them to have something to open under the Christmas tree.
This year, I’m thinking about giving my kids experiences, activities and memories that will last longer than any junky, plastic toy that will be forgotten by February 1st. We accumulate so much stuff each year that often doesn’t even make it a whole year before it gets tossed or donated. What a waste!
Here’s a list of 10 non-toy gifts that any kid would love:
- Memberships – Zoo, children’s museum, YMCA, indoor trampoline centers, etc. These are great for the whole family to enjoy.
- Lessons– Think of non-traditional lessons – art, cooking, sewing, photography, robot design, languages, etc.
- Day camp – What does your child like? Consider a gymnastics, dance, band or science camp for a week during school vacation.
- Go for a Ride – Book tickets for something that you don’t get to do every day – a sleigh ride, hot air balloon or train ride.
- Events – Score tickets to a movie, a play, concert or sporting event.
- Get active – Mini golf, bowling, skating rink. My kids love doing these activities. And a big part of the fun is going together. Children love spending time with the adults in their lives, they want to see you enjoying your time as well as enjoying them.
- Magazine Subscription – My kids love getting mail. My mom gave each of my kids a Highlights magazine subscription a couple of years ago. They devour the magazine from cover to cover and then go back and read it all over again.
- Coupon Book – Give the kids an envelope of different coupons for things like go out for ice cream, movie night, date day with mom or dad. Give kids the opportunity to cash in on fun times.
- Date Night – Go on a date with your child. The kids will love the special attention and it allows you to communicate and enjoy each other’s company without any distraction.
- Get Away – A night or two away at a local hotel (with a pool of course!). A hotel with an indoor waterpark is always a hit with kids too. Give each family member the travel, swimsuits, or other accessories needed for the experience you’ll be gifting so that they have a physical item to unwrap.
Have you ever gifted experiences rather than toys?