It’s no secret that I love spending time in the kitchen. The other day, I wanted to make something warm, creamy, and chocolaty, so I created the best hot chocolate recipe.
As a bonus, this simple drink is organic, gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan, which makes it perfect for those of you who follow specific diets. After I was told by my doctor to follow a gluten-free diet, I was surprised to find out most instant cocoa mixes contain fillers derived from wheat or barley, which are both glutinous grains.
Dairy-Free Organic Hot Chocolate for Vegans
1 cup organic chocolate almond milk
1 tablespoon organic light agave nectar
10 gluten-free, vegan, organic miniature marshmallows
1 tablespoon gluten-free, vegan, organic chocolate chips
- Shake the carton of chocolate almond milk to mix the contents thoroughly. Pour one cup of milk into a pan on the stove top. Warm the milk slowly on medium-low heat to avoid scorching.
- Stir the agave nectar into the milk to add extra sweetness. When the hot chocolate comes to a light simmer, turn off the heat. Pour the drink into a mug and top with the marshmallows and chocolate chips.
- Let the toppings get warm and gooey for a moment, then sip and enjoy!
I’ve also used shavings from an organic chocolate bar to top the hot chocolate, and they work perfectly. If you’re not a fan of marshmallows, dairy-free whipped topping made from coconut milk also completes this decadent drink.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try these additional mix-ins when you make your cocoa:
- a pinch of cayenne pepper to add a spicy flavor
- a dash of a ground cinnamon for a fall-inspired treat
- a sprinkle of colorful raw sugar to make kids smile
What do you think is the best hot chocolate recipe ever? Tell me in the comments what you add to your mug to make it extra special!
Image source: Stock.xchng