Posted by Scarlet Paolicchi of Family Focus Blog
I pack a daily lunch for my kiddos and they love it! I love coming up with new healthy lunchbox ideas and packing their homemade lunches because I know exactly what they are eating each day – and how much of it. I can make sure I pack fresh, high quality ingredients, and balance their food groups. When they bring their lunchboxes home, I can see if they ate everything or if they have a lot of leftovers. I like being able to ensure they have healthy options they enjoy. Seeing what they eat, and what they don’t often leads me to new homemade lunch ideas! My kids like that I give them choices and they like that their lunch is always fresh.
However, sometimes, you can start to run out of healthy lunchbox ideas. I have made a list of some healthy school lunch suggestions to help you keep their lunchboxes stocked with healthy variety.
Healthy Lunchbox Proteins:
- Peanut butter sandwiches or wraps (by itself or with banana, jelly, or honey)
- Bagels and cream cheese
- Hummus and/or cheese and veggie pita pockets
- Tofu, diced with soy sauce and sesame seeds
- Crackers and cheese
- A variety of nuts
Change it up suggestions:
- Try a new nut butter such as almond butter
- Try a new cheese such as feta or Monterey jack
- Try a new bean dip such as black bean dip in the pita pockets
- Try new veggies on your sandwiches as cucumbers or bell pepper
Healthy Lunchbox Snacks:
- Whole grain pretzels
- Whole grain crackers
- Rice crackers
- Veggie chips
- Homemade trail mix
- Muffins (such as these pumpkin gingerbread muffins)
- Homemade granola bars
Healthy Lunchbox Fruits:
- Any variety of fresh fruit and remember to change it up and try new kinds
- Apple sauce, pear sauce
- Fruit squeeze pouches
- Dried fruits
- Homemade fruit leathers
Healthy Lunchbox Veggies:
- Any variety of fresh veggies such as carrots, sliced bell peppers, broccoli, cucumber slices, etc.
- Cooked veggies such as baked sweet potatoes, boiled new potatoes, roasted squashes, edamame
I hope these healthy lunchbox ideas help freshen up your child’s lunch routine. What are some of your suggestions for packing health lunchboxes?