This Independence Day, represent every color of our grand old flag with two recipes packed with juicy red and blue berries, and, of course, a star-white smile. Dig in and brush up!
RED—Sparkling Ruby Raspberry Lemonade
12oz fresh raspberries (or 14oz package of frozen raspberries, thawed)
1 cup of fresh lemon juice (about 7 lemons)
½ cup water
½ cup of granulated sugar (or to taste)
¼ cup honey
¼ cup of maraschino cherry juice (save cherries for garnish)
1 liter (33.8 oz.) sparkling water or club soda, chilled
Fresh mint and ice, for serving
- Process raspberries until well pureed. Force raspberry puree though a fine, wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl. Discard solids and set aside bowl.
- Put water and sugar into a large pitcher (or two if needed) and whisk until dissolved. Add honey and a maraschino cherry juice into the pitcher. Mix until blended.
- Empty bowl raspberry mixture and lemon juice into pitcher then pour in club soda. Stir and serve over ice.
- Garnish with fresh mint and maraschino cherry.
*Adapted from Cooking Classy and My Recipes
WHITE–Luminous White® Toothpaste
Berries of all kind have a tendency to stain our teeth. But Luminous White® toothpaste uses a clinically proven natural whitening technology to remove surface stains. It’s also safe on enamel and safe for everyday use!
Luminous White® toothpaste is made with biodegradable ingredients, mineral-derived ingredients and water. It contains no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. And its gluten free! We like to be open and honest about the ingredients we put into our products, so check out a complete list here.
Brush regularly with Luminous White® and in two weeks you should see a noticeable difference. Simple as that.
BLUE–Bluest Blueberry Pie
Crust: One double recipe for all butter pie crust dough
6 cups (about 2 1/4 pounds) of fresh (or frozen) blueberries, rinsed and stems removed (if using frozen, defrost and drain first)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup (about 30g) all-purpose flour (for thickening)
1/2 cup white granulated sugar (100g)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
2 Tbsp butter (unsalted), cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Make pie crusts as directed on box. Place bottom dough disk in 9-inch glass pie plate.
- Place the blueberries, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Gently stir them so that all of the blueberries are coated with some sugar and flour.
- Place the sugar coated berries into the pan. Dot with small pieces of butter.
- Roll out the second dough disk. Place on top of the berry filling. Tuck the top dough over and under the edge of the bottom dough, and crimp the edges with your fingers.
- Score the pie on the top with 4 cuts (so steam can escape while cooking).
- Place the pie on the middle rack of the oven with a foil lined baking pan positioned on the lower rack to catch any filling that may bubble over. Bake for 20 minutes at 425°. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake for 30 to 40 minutes more or until juices are bubbling and have thickened. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Let cool completely before serving.
*Adapted from Simply Recipes