When you work for a natural products company, sometimes people assume that you eat healthy all the time. But I admit it – I am a potato chip addict. Give me the choice between a sweet treat and a salty, crunchy one and I am likely to pick the latter 9 times out of 10. I also love spice flavors, including blends like garam masala, curry, and ethiopian berbere. That might help explain my addiction to our Cinnamon Clove Whole Care Toothpaste.
That’s why in my quest to find quick and healthy snacks I was so happy to discover how satisfying roasted chickpeas (or garbanzo beans – whatever you call them!) can be! I have seen many different recipes for these and I love how easy and versatile they are. You can control the fat content and salt and they have a lot more protein than your average potato chip. I like the smoky and spicy combination of these spices, but feel free to mix it up!
Quick and Healthy Snacks: Spicy, Crunchy Chickpeas
- 2 15-ounce cans of low sodium chickpeas
- 1 1/2 TBL olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Drain chickpeas and rinse well
- In a bowl, toss chick peas and olive oil until chickpeas are well coated. Add the spice mix
- Place on two baking sheets (you’ll want the chickpeas to have plenty of room) and roast in the oven for 40 – 50 minutes. You want the chickpeas to be nice and crunchy, but be sure to keep an eye on them at te end so they don’t burn!
- Sprinkle with kosher salt to taste and adjust seasonings as desired
Got any quick and healthy snack ideas of your own (especially crunchy, salty ones)? We’d love to hear them!